Article appears in SAP Startup Focus Newsletter – Issue 3
SAP HANA is more than a database management system, it has evolved into a platform for developing and running the server-side part of an application. The functionality that enables such useful capabilities is the SAP HANA Extended Application Services (XS), a simple REST driver with extra special goodies baked-in.
SAP HANA Extended Application Services (XS) can be seen thought of as a lightweight web application server wich just happens to be a built-in part of the SAP HANA system. Fundamentally, XS can be used to link the SAP HANA database to HTTP-based clients to execute control flow logic.
XS provides the following services:
- It is a web server for static web resources such as HTML files, images, and client-side scripts.
- It is used to provide application-specific OData2 services for access to data in SAP HANA. OData services can be created easily and fast in a declarative way without writing ANY code.
- XS is an application server that provides the ability to execute code.
- XS hosts a system service for handling XMLA requests. XMLA allows clients to send multidimensional queries over HTTP using the MDX query language.
- XS has a system service that is used for the Direct Extractor Connection (DXC), which is a data replication method.
- The Information Access (InA) service, a a part of the Extended Application Services, combines analytics with search. With the InA service you can perform analytics on the results of a search, write analytical queries that uses the search conditions instead of precise filters, then provide search suggestions for further refinement. (For web clients there is the UI toolkit for InA with UI widgets for search and charts for basic analytics on the results.)
If you would like to learn more about XS, check out the HANA Guide Section 3.3 for XS. Also check out the SAP HANA Academy for general tutorials and tricks (http://www.saphana.com/community/resources/hana-academy).
Mayank Mathur is part of the SAP Startup Focus Program’s Development Accelerator, helping early stage companies adopt the SAP HANA Platform across a broad spectrum of domains.
VN:F [1.9.22_1171]HANA Curious - Extended Application Services (XS),