The first in this series of blogs talked about why increasing BI productivity (i.e. cutting the time and cost of developing projects) – is so important, and gave some examples of customers who had already achieved this. The second part of the blog series looked at how to cut the requirements gathering, scoping and design phases of the BI project.
We saw in the second part that a typical BI development project plan might look like the following:
- Requirements gathering / scoping = 20-30%
- Design & development = 40-50%
- Testing = 20-40%
… and then there’s a cost of about 30% change management every year. So how do customers cut development time, testing, documentation, implementation and rework?
With all the time savings that can be achieved throughout the BI project cycle, from design to documentation and the on-going change management, it is easy to see why this is such a compelling reason to look at HANA not just in terms of its ability to transform business processes, but also consider HANA’s ability to change the way that BI is delivered in organizations. Think through the implications to your business if you could deliver twice as many BI projects with the same team, or you could deliver them 50% ahead of schedule. If you’re unsure about whether this is real, have a look at some of the customers who are already seeing these benefits :
Honeywell – http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-38529
Lexmark – http://scn.sap.com/community/business-trends/blog/2013/05/15/lexmark-cio-sap-hana-gave-us-the-ability-to-respond-much-more-quickly-to-business-requirements
My suggestions for you:
- Benchmark your BI process. What is the time needed to build and delivering a BI project? How does this compare to your peers? (SAP Benchmarking can help) – specifically, I would suggest the Business Intelligence and High Performance analytics surveys
- Look at a recent BI project plan. Which workstreams could be eliminated or accelerated with HANA?
- Look for an upcoming project that would benefit from the speed and agility that SAP HANA can offer.
If you are already seeing BI productivity benefits or you’d like to drill a bit deeper, call or email me at Andrew.de.Rozairo@sap.com or +44 7977 257299.
VN:F [1.9.22_1171]Cutting 50% of testing, implementation and change management costs of BI projects with HANA,