This year at Sapphire, SAP HANA Cloud Services—SAP’s vision for data management in the cloud was announced. Central to SAP HANA Cloud Services is the SAP HANA service. I have the pleasure working with customers in all regions for various innovative use cases. I’d like to share top use cases how our customers are leveraging next-gen SAP HANA service to achieve agility and realize their Intelligent Enterprise in the cloud.
But first, a quick re-cap of how next-gen SAP HANA service incorporates the best of cloud and the best of SAP HANA.
- On demand self-service provisioning: Create SAP HANA service instances when you need them. Just with a few mouth-clicks, your SAP HANA service instance will be ready in minutes.
- Elastic scalability: Change the size of SAP HANA service instances per 16GB increments as your deployment scenarios change.
- Fully Managed by SAP: Let SAP manage hardware, software and operational tasks–you can focus on application development.
- Consumption-based pricing: In addition to standard subscription licensing, you can also leverage flexible consumption-based pricing. Costs are based on actual usage of resources and services.
- Cloud Freedom: The SAP HANA service can be deployed to multiple cloud environments with a single contract from SAP. No separate contract is needed with the infrastructure providers.
- Leverage the best of SAP HANA: The next-gen SAP HANA service is cloud native version of SAP HANA platform, which delivers all the benefits of the SAP HANA platform in cloud.
Here are some common customer use cases for the SAP HANA Service:
- Cloud Native Analytic Data Mart
The San Francisco 49ers, 2019 SAP Innovation Awards winner, implemented cloud native analytic data mart with SAP solutions including SAP Analytics Cloud, SAP HANA service and SAP Cloud Platform Integration. The 49ers didn’t have consolidated insight of a fan’s end to end game day stadium journey until two days after an event. This delay limited their ability to improve fan experience, maximize revenue, and increase operational efficiencies on game day. With cloud native analytic data mart implementation, the 49ers are able to leverage real-time insights to optimize fan experience by enabling staff to respond issues in real time such as parking lots and security gates. They are also able to identify opportunities for retail and F&B concession sales to maximize revenue.
- S/4HANA Application Extensions
While SAP S/4HANA provides the power of a digital core that optimizes and stabilizes daily operations, and enables intelligent enterprise for our customers, the SAP Cloud Platform and SAP HANA service facilitate decoupling custom development from the stable core in an enterprise-grade cloud environment to quickly meet the business requirement from employees, customers and business partners. Customers can use SAP’s proven business services to accelerate applications’ development and leverage best practice of SAP and its ecosystem. Customers can integrate the intelligent enterprise by securely and seamlessly connecting cloud and on-premises applications. By adopting cloud native application development and deployment with SAP solutions, end users can be onboard quickly to become fully productive and stay current. Please reference this blueprint to extend S/4HANA core capabilities.
- Custom Applications
SAP HANA is a powerful platform for application development. We have ISVs around the world and corporate developers building applications that enable: analytics on live transactions, support for multi-model data, and in-memory performance. Here is a video about how SAP Analytics Cloud leverages SAP HANA for Prediction and one for data federation.
You can try the SAP HANA service now by following this tutorial. To learn more about the SAP HANA service, visit the SAP HANA service homepage on the SAP Cloud Platform site, and your can learn more about SAP HANA here. If you have any feedback, please use the comment section below. Please stay tuned for more top use case updates.